National EMS Information System, Technical Assistance Center - Salt Lake City, UT
The NEMSIS project has three primary goals & objectives:
- Implement an electronic EMS documentation system in every local EMS system, which can collect and use data based on the current NHTSA Version 3 dataset standard.
- Implement a state EMS information system in every state and territory, which can receive and use a portion of the local EMS data via the NEMSIS/HL7 XML standard.
- Implement a national EMS database with reporting capabilities, allowing Federal, State and Local EMS stakeholders access to performance and benchmarking metrics.
Over 90% of the states and territories have a NEMSIS compliant data system in place with various levels of sophistication. Many states are currently working to revise data elements, improve data capture, and ensure compliance with the version 3.x NEMSIS dataset standard.
- Evaluate all state’s capabilities to collect and provide data to the national database
- Collect data from all states and territories
- Develop compliance policies and applications to evaluate EMS software
- Develop reports (queries) to review the data in the national database
- Develop a plan and system for future versions of the NHTSA dataset
- Provide any requested technical assistance
- Simple and convenient electronic database submission process
- Centralized processes and interstate-based tools
- Central repository
- Establishment of good development tools
- Publication of the database to researchers
- The improvement of patient outcomes